Acid Starch Indicator Powder

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_I Chang_*

Guest_I Chang_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

What means the term Acid Starch Indicator Powder? Thank you very much.

#2 Guest_dick@richardhouriganinc.com_*

Guest_dick@richardhouriganinc.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

The Acid Starch Indicator Powder is a blend of sulfamic acid and water soluble starch. In industrial water treatment applications it is one of the reagents in the boiler water test for a sulite oxygen scavenger. The sulfamic acid drops the pH of the boiler water sample down to the pH necessary for other chemicals in the test to undergo a desired reaction. This pH is between 6.0 and 8.2. The starch component is used to react with the I3- ion to form a strong blue endpoint color once all of the sulfide has been titrated with a mixture of a standard Iodide/Iodate solution. When all of the sulfite has been oxidized, the Iodate will react with the Iodide to form Iodine. The Iodine reacts with the excess Iodide to form the I3- ion which then complexes with starch. It is important that the temperature of your sample is below 140 degrees fahrenheit for the complex with starch to form. In the absence of the starch the endpoint color is yellow due to iodine. The yellow color id very difficult for the human eye to accurately detect. Hence the starch is used. The Acid Starch Indicator powder is sold online on www.TheWaterTreatmentStore.com. To view it or purchase it in various size containers, CLICK HERE.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users