Diaper Service

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Joan_*

Guest_Joan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

My husband and I are running a diaper service and we think we need to analyze our water. What do you recommend?

#2 Guest_dick@richardhouriganinc.com_*

Guest_dick@richardhouriganinc.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

Joan,

I am often told by people that they want to "analyze" their water. But often they fail to mention what their concern is. In other words: "What do you need to know about your water?"

I will take a stab at it. I do not know much about the diaper business, but I will assume that it is similar to the laundry business with the additional problem that you want to avoid diaper rash and allegic reations with regard to the babies.

We sell primarily Taylor Technologies Test Kits, so these are the ones that I know the most about. There are three of them that you should consider. They are the K-1615, K-1616, and the K-9017. All three are Combination Laundry Test Kits.

Here are my thoughts:
1. You need to protect the babies against diaper rash or allegic reactions.
2. High pH (or alkalinity - both ways of measuring caustic chemials) could be caused by an inadequate rinse of detergent which could cause a rash.
3. High Chlorine (beach), and perhaps High OxyClean (Potassium Percarbonate), though less harsh than chlorine could cause an alleric reaction. OxyClean is often used as a whitening agent.
4. K-1615 tests for Alkalinity, Chlorine, Hardness, and pH. Hardness is actually a plus if you need to check your water softener. A good working water softener will reduce your detergent consumption, since Calcium and Magnesium (Hardness) will react with the Sodium Stearate found in most laundry detergent. Loss of Sodium Stearate as insoluble Calcium Stearate or insoluble Magnesium Stearate wil reduce cleaning ability and cause you to use more detergent.
5. K-1616 tests for Alkalinity, Chlorine (2 tests), Hardness, Iron, and pH. Iron may or may not be a concern to you. If you do have iron in your water, a water softener can remove it but it is best to either use a resin cleaner in your softener during regeneration (like our LRC-6018) or use salt for regeneration that contains iron removal chemicals (like the Morton Salt in what used to be a green bag - now has a green stripe, I believe). You see, while the softener will remove iron from the water, salt alone will not remove the iron from the softener's resin beads once it becomes oxidized. Thus, there is a need for some mechanism of iron removal from the beads during softener regeneration. This test kit has a second chlorine test that you can use DIRECTLY ON THE DIAPER. It is one thing to test the rinse water, but it is even better to know that the Chlorine has actually LEFT THE DIAPER.
6. K-9017 tests for Chlorine, Iron and pH. You lost Alkalinity and Hardness. Chlorine and Iron are done on the DIAPER ITSELF. Iron my not be important to you. I am not sure if this test will give you what you need.

I hope this helps a little bit with your decision.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users