Photo

Do u sell an instrument that will convert millivolts to ppm?

microsiemens micromhos ppm TDS Myron L DS Meter

No replies to this topic

#1 dhourigan

dhourigan

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

A friend of mine asked me that question yesterday. I assumed he meant conductivity in microsiemens (μS). Here is what I told him:

It doesn't exist.

Each ion has a specific conductance. If you use a salt like Sodium Carbonate, you get one correlation between microsiemens (μS) and ppm, If you use Sodium Sulfate you get another, Likewise with Potassium Carbonate, Potassium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, you also get a different correlation.

I know Myron L sells a meter that expresses microsiemens (μS) as ppm. I believe that those are their DS Models. But that is not what it is really reading. They are reading conductivity and expressing it has a mathematical equivalent to a known salt or combination of salts that may or may not match your water. Here is what they say about their standard solutions:

Myron L STANDARD SOLUTIONS:

Your DS Meter has been factory calibrated with the appropriate NIST traceable Standard Solution. All Myron L conductivity Standard Solution bottle labels show three values: ppm 442™, ppm sodium chloride, and conductivity in micromhos (metric equivalent is microsiemens).

442: Unless otherwise specified, the calibration used for all DS Meters is the “442” standard. The 442 Standard Solutions™ consist of the following salt ratios: 40% sodium sulfate, 40% sodium bicarbonate, and 20% sodium chloride. This salt ratio has conductivity characteristics closely matching natural waters and was developed by the Myron L Company over three decades ago.

Sodium Chloride: For every ppm 442 Standard Solution, there is a ppm sodium chloride (NaCl) solution which will have the same conductivity. The parts per million of the equivalent NaCl solution is on each Standard Solution label. Instruments calibrated to NaCl standards are set using equivalent NaCl values.

Conductivity: All Myron L Company Standard Solutions are traceable to the National Institute of Standards and Technology and are within 1.00% of Potassium Chloride reference solutions. The concentrations of the reference solutions are calculated from data in the International Critical Tables, Vol. 6.

If you really want ppm, you have to do it gravimentrically, ie. weigh the sample, evaporate to dryness, reweigh the residue, and calculate the ppm.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users