Ashrae 188

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Vern Ellis_*

Guest_Vern Ellis_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

I was at the recent AWT training where Jay Farmerie told us about Ashrae 188, the upcoming standard for legionnella. How will this standard become regulation, does it have to be adopted by an agency, such as OSHA? Also, if it is adopted, does that mean legionella testing will have to be performed on each water system in a facility? Thanks, Vern Ellis, CWT, WaterTech Specialties, Inc.

#2 Guest_dick@richardhouriganinc.com_*

Guest_dick@richardhouriganinc.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Good question, Vern. I wish I could tell you that Jay is wrong. Regrettably, I believe he is correct. I have been active in Politics for many years. What happens is that we elect "Law Makers" at state and local levels. These morons actually believe that they were elected to make MORE laws. In fact, many of them mark their success by how many laws they have written or cosponsored. Personally, I would gladly pay them either to do nothing or to repeal some existing laws and regulations.

I suspect that a liberal state like California or New York will pass this first. After all, what's not to like. It will save 8,000 to 18,000 lives per year according to the CDC...if you believe those numbers. These people are elderly or immune compromised. Assuming we are able to save them from dying from Legionellosis, we will merely be freeing them up to die from something else 6 months later. The reality is that we are all going to die from something.

This legislation once implemented in one state will sweep to many others before it is ever proposed on a national level. With the economy in its current mess, this would not be a good time for this to be proposed on a national level.

This type of legislation will raise rental rates, which will hurt the poor who mostly rent. It will raise business rental costs, making many services more expensive. That will be passed along to the consumers of these services. Hospitals and nursing homes could become greatly effected with increased costs. I doubt that it will have a major effect on manufacturing.

A new industry of service jobs to cater to this new regulation will be born. Eventually, there will be criminal penalties for failure to conform to the new laws. This will be one more thing that will reduce US competitiveness in world markets.

I see it as ASHRAE creating more job opportunities for ASHRAE member companies at the expense of others. The Trial Lawyers will love this one, too.

#3 Guest_jkuhn@fremontind.com_*

Guest_jkuhn@fremontind.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

To clarify, ASHRAE is not a government entitiy, so their Standards are completely voluntary. However, IF a government entity were to require that a Standard be mandated or required to be instituted by law, that is a completely different thing. Personally, I believe ASHRAE 188(P), when approved, should be considered good manufacturing practice. Hopefully, it will remain voluntary (not likely in Minnesota, California and probably a few others at least).

#4 dhourigan

dhourigan

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

You know what happens, James. Legislators LOVE to Legislate. It most certainly WILL become law.

Before that it will be used in Law Suits and required by insurance companies to protect themselves from paying huge claims in wrongful death and injury cases.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users